Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Slow Process



Figures have to evolve from the background. I have the unique oppertunity to help them emerge. To break free from the background. As each figure comes into focus I am left to wonder what is it that is coming into sight? Who are these people and what is their purpose. What kind of energy is waking up here? It make me want to continue to paint. Even when it's 2 am and I know I must sleep if I am going to be worth a damn tomorrow. When I can't paint, pastels so as not to forget the position and color when I can get back to paint. Then again....that figure may not get painted. That figure may always remain in sketch. Often, it is what I see in the negative space that allows for something to emerge. By working from the outside in, in some areas, one is not forced to "draw the form with line". Rather one gets to mold the figure into exhistance.

Life molds us into exhistance. From the outside in, we are shaped and colored. So which is more influential.... nature or nurture?

The process of creating a complete artwork is, for me, rather long. Anything rushed usually is unsatisfactory, and therefore a waste of time. I do not have time to waste. I have way to many paths to explore.

In creating this series of paintings, I am focusing on the process of creating rather than what is the purpose of the final product and will it bring money in. If I can complete this all to my own high standards, then I will think about what to do with it. Now is not the time. Now, I must sleep.

No comments: