Monday, August 21, 2006

More Figures Emerge


Today's painting was back on the smaller canvas. (I say canvas as a universal surface event's this is actually a Burgundy sheet that was attacked by diluted bleach for the starting point) I had previously sketched in some figures I had seen appear. Now in order to make them grow I realized I needed to work in the negative space around them. IN doing so so an eye, upper arm and torso came to life. While there is still much work to be done, nine figures are evident. Not all are shown fully. There was/is a choice being made here. One does not always have to give all the details to understand or recognize the point. AS an artist I feel I must put out enough information to realize my own objective for my artwork to be successful. In doing that it is still in the forefront of my mind to only make suggestions while ultimately, leaving the viewer to derive their own conclusion as to the purpose and meaning in any particular artwork.

No comments: