Friday, August 18, 2006

From Sheet to Frame

The sheet has finaly made it to stretcher strips. In the begining I just needed a surface to fling paint at and release some energy. As images began to emerge I quickly realized the sheet was becoming a painting with a life of its own. So off to the hardware store it was to gather the supplies I would need.

Now, picture this... Me, accadent prone and just plain clumsy, opperating power saws to make this frame. Nope, not me. My ever so loving husband and our very own Bob the Builder friend constructed the frame according to my instructions. Now, that's delegation. My talents rest in the conceptual zone, not the power saws.

I have never painted backwards like this. When I say backwards, I mean, Painting the canvas before it was stretched. Stretching partially painted canvas (in this case a sheet) can be a bit of a challenge.

About a million staples and a blister later I have a 6ft x 8ft painting in progress.
The painting has taken on a different life now that it is stretched. I see more things popping out and more possibilites for better design. This is a fun one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steph... this painting really excites my imagination. I love the "hot" colors, and I'm almost hoping only a little of the cool comes thru. But of course who's to say what will happen? That's what's so fun about creativity. I know you're seeing yourself in the archetypal imagery. What's here sounds like the questioning, questing person you described on OM. Burn on with your curiosity and the passion to put it on canvas!! And thanks for linking me to your blog. I have one here, too, but haven't posted to it lately. http://notalwaysso.blogspot.com/
I've been feeling the urge again, so you can check it from time to time if you like. I hope you'll keep adding to this. Take care! Thom